Horse passports have been around for a long time but now there is a single database holding all information centrally and there are new regulations for all equine owners to be aware of:
- The new Central Equine Database regulations come into force on 1st October 2018.
- Fines can be imposed for owning a horse that is not microchipped.
- Horses born since June 2009 must already be microchipped.
- All horses born before June 2009 (previously not requiring one) must have a microchip and be registered by 30th September 2020.
- Fines can be imposed for failure to produce passports when required for example when requested by a vet or when transporting a horse.
- Passports must show the correct owner and keeper information at all times
Find more information here: https://www.equineregister.co.uk/home